Pages

Being Intentional & Engaging Them in Prayer

I want my grandsons to grow up to be children, then teens and eventually adults who love, know and follow God, but I know in this world it is becoming ever more difficult for this to happen. So many things and people around them tell them it is okay, and even fun, to do whatever they feel like doing, and it is okay to ignore God's Word.

But this is not the truth. I know the only way my grandsons will experience a life of joy is if they choose to love, know and walk with God. This is the truth and I want them to know and believe it.

Earlier this month I said; "If we are serious about passing on a heritage of faith to our grandchildren, we really need to be intentional. We need to think about it. We need to pray. We need to have conversations we plan, as well as be listening and watching for opportunities to help our grandchildren connect what they are doing/what is happening with God's Word. This may sound difficult, but it is not. It is just about being intentional. About thinking about it. About planning. About watching for those opportunities."

So, with this in mind, I have a plan to be intentional with my grandsons, and am beginning with God's Word and prayer. The boyx tend to spend Friday nights at our house for a sleepover, so on Saturday mornings after breakfast, we spend time looking at the Scripture their poppa and I will be praying for them in the coming week from my book; Deeper In 4 Grandparents & Parents, Too! Praying the Scriptures for the Children You Love - Old Testament Edition.

This morning we looked at Isaiah 26; I taught Josiah an old song based on Isaiah 26:3, 4, and then had him read verses three and four. We talked about what God's perfect peace is like, how to get it, and when we might need it. I am am so happy with the response and conversations we had! Josiah, at the young age of seven, seems to have true heart and understanding for God's Word and what it is saying!

Then we looked at the prayer for Isaiah 26 and Josiah listened as I prayed the part for him and his brothers - he seemed truly delighted to hear his poppa and I were going to be praying this for them each day in the coming week!

After this, I asked Josiah to draw a picture of something we could pray about for him in the coming week. He thought about it and drew a picture of his prayer request! Then I asked him to remember, think about and pray throughout his week to ask God for His perfect peace and to help him trust Him more! I believe it will impact my grandsons to know, not only their grandparents are praying for them, but to hear what we are specifically praying, and to see how we pray God's Word for them as well.

Next week when the boys are here, we will talk about their prayer requests (Caleb shared a request with me, too) and how God has answered our prayers. We will look at more Scripture and the prayer their poppa and I will be praying for them in the coming week; they will also be able to share another request for us to be praying about for them.

I want my grandsons to see, hear and experience what it means to pray God's Word, so I am being intentional with them. It matters too much not to be.

No comments:

Post a Comment

A Family of Her Own for Candy

  The summer of 2022 my husband, grandsons, and I went to the Humane Society to get a kitten. I wanted my grandsons to go with us because, f...